I have written a song that features a few bars of an existing work. What should I do?


If you want to use any part of another composer or songwriter’s music you need to get permission from the copyright owner. They’ll probably want a percentage of the royalties from your work. It is a myth that you can get away with a few notes from an existing work without having to declare it. You need permission to use any and all copyrighted music in any way.

FAQ section: